School begins at 8:30 a.m. Walkers and car riders should arrive at school no earlier than 8:15 AM. Students should be in their seats and ready to learn by 8:30 a.m.
Absence or Tardy Notification
If your child will be absent from school, please notify us by using the attendance form that you can fill out online and send to us electronically, or send us email at [email protected].
Or you can call us:
- After school hours, call and leave a message on the attendance hotline at 703-764-7171.
- During school hours, call the office (between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.) at 703-764-7100.
- Please be specific about the reason why your child will not be attending school today.
- Indicate whether your child has any of the following symptoms:
- Feeling feverish or chills
- Fever greater than or equal to 100.4 F
- Headache (not due to another health condition, hunger, menstrual cramps stress, or injury)
- A new cough (not due to another health condition)
- Shortness of breath or breathing difficulties (not due to diagnosed respiratory condition or if different than normal pattern of chronic condition)
- A new sore throat (not due to another health condition)
- Congestion or runny nose (not related to allergies or health condition)
- Fatigue (more tired than normal or sudden onset)
- New muscle pain (not due to another health condition or that may have been caused by a specific activity such as physical exercise))
- New loss of taste, smell, or appetite
- Abdominal pain (not due to hunger, constipation, injury, or stress)
- Nausea, vomiting or diarrhea
We will communicate quickly with parents or guardians when a student does not come to school as expected.
If the school does not receive a call from a parent, the absence will be considered unexcused.
Excused Absence and Tardy—Illness of the student, death in the family, doctor or dentist appointment, and observance of a religious holiday.
Unexcused Absence and Tardy—Family trip, child care situation, oversleeping, nonschool-related activity, traffic, or missed bus.
Virginia State Law
Virginia State law requires that each student who is absent from school must be reported each time by a responsible person. An excused absence is one for which parents/guardians have prior knowledge, consent, and a legitimate reason. Legitimate reasons include: illness of the student, death in the family, and observance of a religious holiday. Absences for family and student vacations are unexcused.
According to state law, the following actions need to be taken:
- 5 Unexcused days - parent notification via letter and plan required
- 6 Unexcused days - (one additional day) - conference required
- 7 Unexcused days - attendance officer involved, possible court action
Release of Students during the Day
Oak View will excuse a student during the day for valid reasons. Parents should email the teacher and the main office when your child must leave early. Parents must come to the school office to pick up and sign out their child. Oak View will not allow a student to walk home alone during the school day, nor will we release your child to anyone other than adults listed on the Emergency Contact Form without a written request signed by a parent.